Minerals typically are composed of two or more elements and have the following properties:
- inorganic- not derived from living things
- naturally occuring- not "fake"
- solids- cannot be a liquid or gas
- crystalline shape- orderly arrangement of atoms
- chemical composition- definite composition
Thanks to Philip Staublin for pointing out that there are some minerals that are considered "native minerals" composed of only one element. This is for Philip- good catch- we did cover native minerals in class but it is not going to be a test question- so I did not blog it, Mr. V.