Phase Changes- water can undergo phase changes at the Earth's surface.
- melting- solid to liquid,
- evaporation - liquid to gas
- condensation- gas to liquid
- freezing- liquid to solid
- latent energy- the energy that is stored in water, see notes.
Dew Point- the temperature at which the air needs to be cooled to reach saturation/ clouds can form.
Adiabatic- the cooling/heating of air due to a change in pressure. When air is compresses (higher pressure) it will warm. When air expands (lower pressure) it will cool.
Wet adiabatic rate-is less than the dry adiabatic rate because of latent heat.