Image: Tasa Arts
There are three basic types of stress that we covered in class:
- Tensional- this happens when the crust is pulled apart.
- Compressional- the crust is compacted/ pushed together.
- Shear- a piece of the crust has opposing movement acting on it.
Two basic types of deformation:
- brittle- near surface rocks, low pressure/low temperature, typically granite and basalt, process takes a long time and fracturing of the rock will occur
- ductile- greater depth in the surface, high pressure/high temperature, sedimentary rock, process takes a long time, bending of the rock occurs.